Avoiding a bed bug infestation can be much harder than you might think. Bed bugs aren’t picky about where they find a home, and if they’re able to find a way in, they can cause problems in even the cleanest houses. If they can find a way to get to your luggage, clothes, or any other possessions that you bring inside from time spent in public, they can sneak across your home and infest multiple rooms. How exactly are these pests so elusive?
How Do Bed Bugs Get Around?
Bed bugs benefit greatly from their small size. At around 1/4” in length at the largest, bed bugs can easily hide away in many kinds of materials. These are the most common sources of bed bug infestations:
- Furniture: Be on the lookout for bed bug activity in any furniture that you purchase, especially second-hand. Lots of furniture is made with dense or woven materials that bed bugs have an easy time hiding away in.
- Luggage: When staying at a hotel or traveling to a new place, it’s important to make sure that there are no bed bugs present. Bed bugs are known to attach themselves to luggage to find new places to make home.
- Clothing: Thrift stores and garage sales can host hordes of bed bugs that go unnoticed until it’s too late. If you bring new clothing into your home, be sure to wash it right away.
How to Prevent Bed Bug Issues
Even though it’s easy to just get unlucky when it comes to bed bugs, there are a few measures you can take to make your home less liable for a bed bug problem. You can try:
- Routinely vacuuming and keeping your belongings organized to reduce clutter.
- Using protective layers on your box spring and mattress.
- Taking clothes to and from the laundromat in sealable bags.
- Thoroughly inspecting any new room you stay in and hanging up your bags instead of leaving them on the floor.
Keeping your home and habits generally cleanly will decrease your chances of dealing with a bed bug infestation, but sometimes the issue is simply out of your control.
Stopping a Bed Bug Infestation in Atlanta GA
If you have found a series of small red bumps lined up across your skin in the morning, there might already be bed bugs living in your home. The good news is that this doesn’t mean you have to toss all of your possessions that you think might be infested. When you hire a professional exterminator to remove your bed bugs, they can conduct heat treatments and other exclusion efforts to ensure that every single bed bug in your home is eliminated. For more information on bed bug removal or a free estimate on our services, contact us today!
How Do Bed Bugs Travel? in Georgia
Serving Your Pest Needs for Over 35 Years Across Georgia