With millions of people traveling this time of the year, Thanksgiving is known as one of the busiest times. Because bed bug problems infamously begin after people travel, it’s more important than ever to learn how to prevent bed bugs to stay free of an infestation this holiday season! Often found in hotels, bed bugs often hitch a ride on suitcases, which is when people bring them into their homes. To stay bed bug-free this Thanksgiving, keep reading for Active Pest Control’s top bed bug prevention travel tips!
How to Prevent Bed Bugs While Traveling
The best way to avoid picking up bed bugs during your holiday travels is to stay vigilant. Whether you’re staying in a hotel, traveling via airplane, or simply packing a suitcase, there are a number of things you can do to prevent bed bugs while traveling:
- Research hotels before booking.
- Before committing to a hotel, look at the reviews for any mentions of bed bug problems.
- Inspect hotel rooms before settling in.
- Pull back the bed sheets to look between the mattress and box spring for signs of bed bugs, or their eggs or feces.
- Look at the surface of the mattress to locate tiny specks of blood that may indicate past bite sites.
- Keep luggage protected.
- Always use a hard-case suitcase and protect clothes in plastic bags inside your suitcase.
- Store your luggage on suitcase racks inside of hotel rooms to keep it above ground.
- Thoroughly wash your clothing and steam-clean your luggage.
- After your travels, wash and dry all your clothing in hot water.
- Vacuum or steam-clean your suitcase before storing it away, paying attention to the lining and pockets.
Are Bed Bugs Active Pest Control in the Winter?
Bed bugs are known to be resilient pests and can survive extreme temperatures. When temperatures drop significantly, bed bugs may enter a state of diapause. In this state, adult bugs can survive without a meal for months. Inside heated Georgia or Tennessee homes, bed bugs can very much infest during the wintertime, which is why it’s important to learn how to prevent them all year long.
Bed Bug Removal & Prevention
Whether you’re traveling home for the holidays or inviting guests to stay, it’s crucial to know how to protect your property from bed bugs. As soon as you notice the sign of bed bugs, it’s important to call the bed bug exterminators at Active Pest Control. Not only can we control infestations, we can also help you prevent bed bugs in the future.
How to Stay Bed Bug-Free This Thanksgiving in Georgia
Serving Your Pest Needs for Over 35 Years Across Georgia