It’s currently National Pest Month, and it’s only the beginning of the pest season! In the coming months, pest problems will peak as the weather warms up here in the Atlanta GA area. To prevent the eventual onslaught of mosquitoes that will surely be looking to ruin your outdoor events this summer, it’s important to learn how to keep them away!
Thankfully, there are several ways homeowners can lessen the risk of getting an infestation. Keep reading for Active Pest Control’ top mosquito prevention tips.
How to Keep Mosquitoes Away From Your Yard
There are several things that attract mosquitoes to outdoor spaces. By eliminating the areas in which they live and breed, you can prevent them from finding your yard attractive enough to infest! Some of our top mosquito prevention tips include:
- Remove all standing water. Get rid of standing water in buckets, flower pots, bird baths, tarps, and more. Mosquitoes use standing water to breed!
- Place screens on windows and doors. Installing screens on your doors and windows can keep mosquitoes from getting indoors every time you try to get some fresh air.
- Consider getting fish for ponds and agitating the water. Certain types of fish will feed on mosquito larvae. In addition, adding an agitator will stop mosquitoes from laying eggs in the water.
- Keep a tidy yard. Regularly maintain your garden and lawn to keep the grass short. Also keep plants and bushes trimmed to prevent mosquito resting spots.
- Install fans. Mosquitoes hate wind and are not strong fliers. Use fans to help force them away from your outdoor areas.
Preventing Mosquitoes When Outdoors
Everyone has dealt with mosquito bites from time to time, but there are a few ways you can hopefully avoid them. To your best ability, try to avoid going outdoors in the summer at dusk and dawn, which is when these insects are most active. When you do, wear light-colored, long-sleeved tops and pants. Also consider applying an EPA-registered insect repellent. Always consult your pediatrician before use on children.
Long-Term Mosquito Prevention Tips
Mosquitoes can quickly turn any outdoor event sour. By following the above mosquito prevention tips, you can hopefully prevent the onslaught of mosquitoes in the coming months. For long-term prevention, it’s best to consult your local mosquito control experts. Here at Active Pest Control, we can help keep mosquitoes out of your yard for good. Call us today to learn more!
Mosquito Prevention Tips for National Pest Month in Georgia
Serving Your Pest Needs for Over 35 Years Across Georgia