Are you dealing with itchy bites around your ankles? Do you see your pets digging at their skin? Is your dog thump, thump, thumping constantly with his back leg. It can be maddening to deal with fleas, maddening for our pets and for our families. So in today’s article, we are going to focus on how these pests are getting in, and what can be done about them.
How are fleas getting into your home?
Some pests will squeeze in through gaps and cracks found in your foundation and outer walls, but this is not the case with fleas. And, although they are able to jump an impressive distance, they do not jump their way into your home either. Instead, they use their jumping ability to leap onto other creatures who either bring them inside by walking through the door, or by squeezing in through existing holes in your home.
Fleas come in on pets
If you have a pet, or lots of pets, fleas can hitch a ride into your home on them. A flea will lie in wait in a yard and then jump onto an unsuspecting pet who is out enjoying some time in the great outdoors. When that flea is brought inside, it will often jump off the pet to lay eggs, thus starting an infestation inside your home.
Fleas come in on pests
Fleas are just as likely to jump onto other furry creatures such as mice, rats, and squirrels. If you have holes in your home where these creatures are getting in, you are at risk for getting several parasites introduced into your home including fleas, lice, mites, and ticks.
Flea Prevention Tips
- Make sure your pets have effective flea control.
- Bathe and groom your pets often.
- Keep your pets leashed or fenced inside a pest-controlled environment when they are outside, as much as possible.
- Make your yard less inviting to other furry creatures by keeping your lawn trimmed, removing weeds and other clutter, and keeping trash in sealed containers.
- If you notice wildlife or rodents in your yard, call for professional assistance in removing them.
- Have a professional pest control technician inspect your property and put in place flea reduction services.
Fleas can turn any comfortable home into a nightmare. But you don’t have to deal with these maddening creatures alone. If you need assistance with keeping fleas out or getting rid of an infestation in your Atlanta home, the professionals here at Active Pest Control are standing by to help.
Most Common Ways Fleas Enter The Home in Georgia
Serving Your Pest Needs for Over 35 Years Across Georgia