Do you consider yourself a “mosquito magnet?” While it seems that some of us are much more favorable to mosquitoes than others, we still don’t understand all of the intricacies of mosquito preferences. That said, we do have some advice for people looking to avoid mosquitoes around Atlanta GA this spring and summer. Read on to learn more about preventing mosquito bites with the mosquito exterminators at Active Pest Control!
Why Do Mosquitoes Bite Certain People?
Experts still aren’t sure how to precisely predict who will be more susceptible to mosquito bites than others. However, we do know that the more physical activity we engage in outdoors around mosquito breeding grounds, the more likely we are to experience bites. This is because of the three things mosquitoes sense for when looking for hosts to feed on:
- Breath: Carbon dioxide in the air tips off mosquitoes to potential hosts. When we exhale, we release CO2 that signals to mosquitoes that we are eligible for bites, and heavy breathing after exercise results in a stronger signal.
- Body odor: Strong perfumes, dietary choices, and most notably, perspiration all contribute to our body odor, which mosquitoes seek out.
- Temperature: Engaging in physical activity or wearing dark clothing in the sun can increase our body temperature, letting off an easily detectable signal.
How to Avoid Mosquito Bites in Atlanta GA
We can’t just hide inside all spring and summer to avoid mosquito bites, so what can we do to save our skin while getting out in the sun? There are a few measures you can take to lessen your chances of being bitten by mosquitoes this year:
- Look out for standing water: Mosquitoes lay their eggs in standing water, and will use even the smallest pools of it to grow their numbers. Check around your yard for standing water buildup in gutters, planter boxes, and anywhere else rainwater collects. You should also avoid outdoor activities by bodies of standing water at dawn and dusk, the times mosquitoes are most active.
- Choose the right clothes: Dark colors trap heat and raise your body temperature, so wear white or light-colored clothing if you’re worried about mosquito bites. Although it can be uncomfortable in the heat, wearing pants or long-sleeved shirts will greatly reduce your chances of bites, too.
- Use bug spray: An EPA-approved insect repellent using DEET or picaridin can safely protect you from mosquito bites. If you’re looking for all-natural alternatives, we recommend lemon-eucalyptus and citronella oils.
Professional Mosquito Control Services Help
If you are stuck dealing with mosquito bites year after year around your home or business in Atlanta GA, it’s time to put that cycle to rest. The mosquito exterminators at Active Pest Control can set up a mosquito barrier treatment around your property, preventing mosquitoes from breeding on the premises and keeping their numbers low for months at a time. To learn more about our mosquito extermination program and receive a free quote, get in touch today!
Why Do Mosquitoes Bite Me? in Georgia
Serving Your Pest Needs for Over 35 Years Across Georgia