If you were considering the prospect of selling your home, it may be time. Last year, Chattanooga realtors saw the greatest number of home sales since the recession of 2006, and they are expecting 2015 to be an even bigger year. Not only that, median sale prices on homes in Chattanooga are up 5.9 percent from 2013, making the average home $147,900. And, the good news keeps coming, as last month Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac reduced down payment requirements from 5 to 3 percent. It is finally time for millennials (ages 25-34) to get out there and buy their dream home. That home may be yours. Are you ready to sell?
Spring cleaning tips for prepping your home.
When those potential buyers stop by, you want them to leave with the best impression possible. It has never been more important to do proper spring cleanup.
- Lawn: Now that winter has passed, make sure all twigs, leaves and other debris is picked up off your lawn. Use an herbicide to get rid of weeds. And, check to make sure your inground sprinkler system is still working, if you have one.
- Deck or Patio: Sweep, clean, stain and reseal your deck or patio.
- Water build up: Make sure your gutters are in good working order and that water is being channeled away from your home. To avoid injury, hire a professional to clean your gutter and downspouts. It is well worth the $100 to $200.
- Roof: Look for cracks or missing shingles and make sure your roofline is in good shape.
- Exterior walls: Look for any rotted or chew holes where water and pests have eaten away at your wood. Look in hard-to-see areas because a home inspector is likely to check these areas for their client.
- Chimney: Examine your chimney for efflorescence, a white calcium deposit that is a warning sign of water absorption.
- Windows and screens: Replace any broken or damaged screens, weather stripping and door sweeps.
- Leaks: Inspect your home for leaky faucets, spigots or pipes. If you find puddles or areas of moisture, have a plumber take care of these trouble spots.
- Lights: Make sure all your lights work.
- Clean: Spring clean everything and get rid of unnecessary clutter.
- Pests: Make sure all trash cans have sealable lids and that they are in a place where they can’t be knocked over. Get rid of spider webs outside. And do an inspection of your attic for nests or dens. Hire a pest control professional to do an inspection and offer options to keep your home pest-free during the sale process.
Hopefully, you will have a quick and profitable sale. But sometimes it can take a while. Maintain a pest treatment plan to avoid damage from wood chewing pests and to give your home a pest-free feel every time buyers come to visit.
Get Your Chattanooga Home Ready For Sale in Georgia
Serving Your Pest Needs for Over 35 Years Across Georgia