There are a lot of things that can bite your kids in Rome. As a parent, it is important to know how to recognize signs of something serious and how to treat bites, so that your kids–and you–can get back out to play. This is by no means a comprehensive article on the topic of insect bites. Our focus is to cover the three types of bugs that will bite you most and give you some tips on how to lessen the impact these bugs can have on a beautiful summer day.
Here are some things you and your kids need to know if you get stung by anything.
· Most bites are benign, but if you or your child has an allergy, things can go from irritating to dangerous, fast. If they have trouble breathing, issues swallowing, wheezing, or facial swelling, seek medical attention immediately. Severe allergic reactions can even lead to anaphylactic shock.
· Stay calm. Frantic movement can cause the insect to sting again.
· Move away from the insect that stung you. Many stinging insects have the ability to swarm.
· Get the stinger out as soon as you can. When bees sting, they leave their stinger and venom pouch on the wound. The venom pouch will continue to pump venom for over a minute. Scratch it off; don’t pinch. Pinching can cause the rest of the venom to deploy.
· After the initial scratch, stop scratching. Scratching a bite can cause infection.
· Elevating a limb and applying an ice pack for at least 15-20 minutes each hour will reduce swelling.
There are a whole ton of diseases that can be spread by tick bite but, by far, the worst is Lyme disease. Contrary to what you may have heard, Lyme disease can be found in Georgia and should never be ruled out when dealing with a tick bite. Here are the three things you need to know most about ticks.
· Lyme disease does not always leave a recognizable bullseye rash on the skin. This can throw some doctors off.
· Lyme disease takes 24 to 48 hours to transfer from the tick.
· If you or one of your children get bitten by a tick, it is important to catch the tick and bring it in with you to the doctor. Lyme disease can cause extended medical complications. Knowing if Lyme disease is a factor will lead to quicker treatment.
With increased travel and more deadly viruses getting into the United States from other countries, it is becoming more important to protect ourselves. But, if you get bitten, here are some things to remember.
· Avoid scratching the bites. This will only make the itching worse.
· You can alleviate the itching of a mosquito bite by using 1% hydrocortisone cream or calamine lotion. Always follow the manufacturer’s directions for dosage and usage for all first aid products.
· An ice pack can help to relieve itching.
· If you develop flu-like symptoms after being bitten by mosquitoes, consider consulting a doctor. It is always better to be safe than sorry.
For protection from stinging insects, ticks, and mosquitoes on your property in Rome, Georgia, give us a call at Active Pest Control. Fewer biting insects in your backyard mean fewer bites. And that is always the best way to go.
Insect Bites in Rome, Georgia in Georgia
Serving Your Pest Needs for Over 35 Years Across Georgia