Bug bites come in all kinds of varieties. Some types of insects attack you through the air, some sneak up your leg when you’re not looking, some pounce at the peak of daylight, some travel by night. Unfortunately, here in Atlanta GA, we’re always justified in being slightly on edge about pests.
Winged insects can be quite successful in biting us and getting away unscathed. No-see-ums, gnats, and mosquitoes are among the peskiest pests in the area, and their bites are commonly confused for each other. Keep reading for Active Pest Control’s top tips on identifying them and their bites.
Gnats vs No-See-Ums vs Mosquitoes
These three pests are some of the biggest nuisance insects in our region. We’ve all probably had an encounter with them at some point—here’s how you can tell the difference between them next time you do:
- Gnats: Gnats are tiny flies that often gather in “clouds” of hundreds or even thousands of individuals. They have gray to black-colored bodies and often live around damp soil, fruit that has been left out, or plumbing fixtures.
- No-see-ums: No-see-ums are actually a particular kind of gnat. They only reach about 1/16” long, enabling them to fit through tiny gaps, even window screen holes.
- Mosquitoes: Mosquitoes are much larger than all kinds of gnats. They have long wings and a needle-like proboscis on their mouth that allows them to draw blood.
The Differences Between These Bug Bites
One way you can tell apart these insects is by their bite marks. Mosquitoes, gnats, and no-see-ums all work differently, and this shows itself in how we react to their bites. These are the main differences between their bites:
- Gnat bites: These look like small, red, irritated bumps. They look a lot like mosquito bites.
- Mosquito bites: Mosquito bites are usually lighter in color and less likely to take place around your face. They are often more spread out than gnat bites.
- No-see-um bites: These last longer than mosquito bites because of the way the no-see-um damages your skin when they bite you. They are usually more painful and take longer to heal.
In short, you can compare gnat bites and mosquito bites by their proximity to each other, their darkness in color, and how long they last.
Avoiding Bug Bites in Atlanta GA
Covering your skin with long-sleeved clothing and using insect repellent are some of the best ways to avoid bug bites on your own. However, if there is a relentless presence of biting bugs around your home, you might have a problem larger than you can deal with without professional help. At Active Pest Control, we have experience eliminating no-see-um, gnat, and mosquito populations all across Atlanta GA. We can deal with your pest outbreak and make sure you never experience another with routine checkups and maintenance work. For a free quote, contact us today!
No-See-Ums vs Gnats vs Mosquito Bites—What’s the Difference? in Georgia
Serving Your Pest Needs for Over 35 Years Across Georgia