Does washing bedding and clothing in high heat kill bed bugs?
Yes! Washing your linens in a hot water wash has proven to be effective in killing bed bugs. Although this may not get rid of your infestation entirely, it will control the bed bug problem.
In order to get rid of bed bugs by washing your linens:
- Remove All Bedding & Clothes From Area – Strip your bed of all linens and sort with any clothes you need to wash as well.
- Store Infected Bedding & Clothes in Plastic Bags – Place each sorted pile into plastic bags. Transport the bag and tip out linens into the washing machine
- Use Detergent When Washing – Use your normal detergent as needed.
- Wash On Hottest Setting – Wash the bedding at a high temperature (at least 140°F) for 90 minutes or more.
- Dry On High Heat – Quickly transfer washed clothes to the dryer and dry on high heat for at least 30 minutes.
Say Goodbye to Pest Problems for Good!
Cleaning Instructions for Bed Bugs in Georgia
You found out you have bed bugs—now what? One of the best things you can do to control the spread of a bed bug problem is wash clothes, bedding, and any other infested items in a hot water washing machine. First, it’s important to sort your clothes. After sorting as you normally would, place each sorted pile into separate plastic bags. Seal the bags prior to moving to your machines to avoid them getting into other rooms.
Tip the sealed bag into the machine, place the plastic bag into another sealed bag, and dispose. Wash and dry the clothes on the highest heat possible. Fold your laundry and place in sealed bags to keep clean from bed bugs.
Can Bed Bugs Survive in the Washing Machine?
Extreme temperatures are the best way to kill bed bugs. Washing your clothing and bedding in a high heat wash should effectively kill off any bugs, as well as any eggs they’ve possibly laid. It’s important to exercise caution in moving infested linens during the process to avoid spreading the bed bugs to other rooms!
Will Washing Bed-Bug Infested Linens Always Work?
While washing and drying linens in high temperatures help, obviously this method isn’t available for all infested items or areas of the home. Controlling an infestation requires treatment of the entire infested area.
Does washing bedding and clothing in high heat kill bed bugs? in Georgia
Serving Your Pest Needs for Over 35 Years Across Georgia